The Jacques Rivette Collection [Dual Format Blu-Ray + DVD]
Vendor: The DVD Hut
Actors: Jean-Pierre Leaud, Bulle Ogier, Michael Lonsdale, Juliet Berto, Geraldine Chaplin
Directors: Jacques Rivette
Number of discs: 16
Studio: Arrow Academy
DVD Release Date: 18 Jan. 2016
Run Time: 1424.00 minutes
The Jacques Rivette Collection brings together some of the director s hardest to see works, each restored, newly translated and debuting on home video for the first time in UK.
Out 1 is one of the crowning achievements of Rivette s remarkable career. Conceived as a television mini-series, this near-thirteen-hour monolith consists of eight feature-length episodes revolving around two theatre troupes, blackmail and conspiracy. Multiple characters introduce multiple plotlines, weaving a rich tapestry across an epic runtime.
Originally screened just the once in its full-length version in 1971, Out 1 was then re-conceived by Rivette as a four-and-a-half-hour feature and re-named Out 1: Spectre to acknowledge its shadow-like nature. Both are presented in this boxed-set, fully restored and with newly-translated English subtitles.
Complementing Out 1 are two parallel films , Duelle (une quarantaine) and Noroît (une vengeance). The former sees Rivette head into fantasy territory: the Queen of the Sun (Bulle Ogier) and the Queen of the Night (Juliet Berto) search for a magical diamond in present-day Paris. The latter is a loose adaptation of The Revenger s Tragedy and a pirate tale, starring Geraldine Chaplin (Nashville, Cría cuervos). Also included is Merry-Go-Round, in which Joe Dallesandro (Flesh for Frankenstein) and Maria Schneider (The Passenger, Last Tango in Paris) are summoned to Paris, kickstarting the most surreal of all Rivette s mysteries.
Limited Edition Contents
- Limited Edition Collection [3,000 Copies]
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of all films from brand new 2K restorations of the films with Out 1 supervised by cinematographer Pierre-William Glenn Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-rays)
- Optional newly-translated English subtitles for all films
- The Mysteries of Paris: Jacques Rivette s Out 1 Revisited a brand-new feature length documentary by Robert Fischer and Wilfried Reichart containing interviews with actors Bulle Ogier, Michael Lonsdale and Hermine Karagheuz, cinematographer Pierre-William Glenn, assistant director Jean-François Stévenin and producer Stéphane Tchalgadjieff, as well as rare archival interviews with actors Jacques Doniol-Valcroze and Michel Delahaye, and director Jacques Rivette
- Scenes from a Parallel Life: Jacques Rivette Remembers archive interview with the director, in which he discusses Duelle (une quarantaine), Noroît (une vengeance) and Merry-Go-Round, featuring additional statements from Bulle Ogier and Hermine Karagheuz
- Brand-new interview with critic Jonathan Rosenbaum, who reported from the sets of both Duelle (une quarantaine) and Noroît (une vengeance)
- Exclusive perfect-bound book containing new writing on the films by Mary M. Wiles, Brad Stevens, Ginette Vincendeau and Nick Pinkerton
These discs are (PAL) format, and will work on Australian & European DVD players.
USA/Canada customers will need a multi-region enabled player.